1. The name of the Association shall be “The Association for Korean Studies in Europe” (AKSE).
2.The Association shall be non-political and its objects shall be:
- to stimulate and to co-ordinate academic Korean studies in all countries of Europe;
- to contribute to the spread of knowledge of Korea among a wider public.
The objects of the Association shall be attained:
- by organizing academic conferences on Korea;
- by issuing a Newsletter;
- by encouraging and facilitating co-operation with other organizations having aims consistent with its own objects.
3. The Association shall consist of Full Members in the categories of Ordinary Members and Honorary Members, and of Associate Members in the categories of Individual Associate Members and Corporate Associate Members.
Ordinary Membership is open to persons permanently resident in Europe with a serious academic interest in Korea. Individual Associate Membership is open to persons not permanently resident in Europe. Applications and proposals for Membership are to be addressed to any member of the Council and decided upon by the Council of the Association.
4. Members shall pay an annual fee to be determined by the Council.
Members may be exempted partially or totally from payment of the fee upon decision of the Council. Payment of the fee shall be due on January First of each year.
5. Membership shall expire:
- when a Member resigns from the Association by notifying the Secretary in writing;
- when the Membership fee has not been paid within six months of the due date;
- when a Member is expelled from the Association by the Council for having acted in a manner detrimental to the interests or the good name of the Association.
Expulsion shall require the consent of not less than four members of the Council. Before a decision on expulsion is taken, the Secretary of the Association will write to the Member in question, stating the nature of the alleged offence, together with the name(s) of the informant(s) or source(s) of information, and allowing a reasonable time for an explanation.
6. Regular Membership Meetings will be held during academic conferences or when called by the Council.
The Council shall call an Extraordinary Membership Meeting upon the request of one-third of the Full Members of the Association. Notice of any business to be transacted at a Membership Meeting shall be given in writing to the Secretary, who shall prepare the agenda of the meeting.